Weekly Dev Log 12/14/15

24:56:45

One of the projects that I resurrected last week was a iOS based game making tool that I have been kicking around on and off for probably 6 years or so. The last incarnation of it was a Wario Ware DIY alike. Unfortunately, I got overwhelmed by the scope of the project, and ended up dropping it earlier this year. Before I dropped it, I wrote a new scope for it that felt more manageable. This week I implemented most of the things in that scope. Perfect.

log

The new scope for this game is an iOS based choose your own adventure system. You can draw little pictures for each scene, and link the scenes together through text. When you are done, you can upload it to the web, and have people share in it. I did a play test with Morgan on Friday, and she made this cool little game. Weird and experimental, and a cool first release for this tool.

game making tool screen shot

I posted this screen shot from the tool, which was pretty reasonably ignored until I explained around what was going on. So that tells me that the tool itself needs to look a bit shinier. Not a huge deal, just something that I don’t want to do until all the features are squared away.

game making tool screen shot

The last big chunk of work this week was ludum dare. I tried to make a board game that incorporated both of the themes, gardening and two buttons. Predictably I failed to completed it. I managed to get a few iterations in, and it was starting to feel like something though, so potentially I will return to the themes of it at some point.

I also mailed out the drawings from the plotter. Those that asked for them should be getting should be getting them shortly.

  • accounting 1:16:37
  • ipad game editor 13:31:29
  • music 1:53:03
  • Ludum Dare 8:15:36

Weekly Dev Log 12/8/15

14:59:05

Primary time this week was catching up with the books. I took on Morgan’s books too, which are way more complicated than mine, since she has inventory and vendors and about 15 different ways to process payments.

log

I got a major bug fixed with the doom editor, and then immediately found a new bug. Part of the fun of this project is that I am doing it with test driven develoment, so when I break something new I get about a million red lights. I hope I get the core sector finding code sorted soon though, because it is frustrating to just be mucking around with that endlessly.

doom ed bug notes

Other time this week was ressurecting some older projects that I spent time on earlier this year and were suffering from code rot. The iPad game editor is a fun one, and the last time I was working on it I had stripped it back to minimum viable product in notes, now I just need to go through and actually build the thing.

  • accounting 8:51:24
  • doom ed 3:30:52
  • ipad game editor 0:52:02
  • little iPhone Tracker 0:50:38
  • plotter 0:54:09

Weekly Dev Log 11/30/15

12:28:08

Slightly shorter work this week due to family and holidays. A bunch of the untracked time this week was dedicated to playing board games and cleaning out basements.

log

The time that I did spend on personal projects this week was largely dedicated to doing an edition of drawings. I had built this lego plotter a few weeks ago, but never got around to writing the code to run it. This week I did, and got some neat L-System drawings out of it. It was pretty fun to not know what kind of drawing you were going to get until the pen actually dumped it out.

log

Speaking of which, 3 out of the 6 drawings in this edition are unspoken for. Let me know if you want one, and we can work it out.

I got one huge bug fixed on the doom editor this week. Then I lost all ability to work on it.

  • doom ed 2:25:12
  • Mostly Circle contract work 0:49:17
  • plotter 6:09:19
  • community work 3:04:20

Weekly Dev Log 11/22/15

23:58:39

Normally I leave off the “here is what I did recently post” until the end of the year. I am feeling the need to get some of that love early this year, so I am going to try doing a weekly update. Hopefully this will keep me focused and dedicated to the little projects that I am plugging on.

I am going to redact some of the details of contract and other necessary redactable work.

log

screen2

I have been working on this doom sector style level editor that lives inside of unity on and off for a few months now. It isn’t to the point where it is really fast or fun to use yet, but I am closing in on bugs at the very least. This week I worked on some really necessary features, including moving lines and verts around. The secondary thing that I am working on with this is a cover game for this forum thread that everyone except me has forgotten about.

  • doom ed - 11:46:33
  • bugs - 2:49:32
  • building level - 1:53:44
  • performance - 4:31:18
  • moving lines - 1:20:24
  • moving verts - 0:26:10
  • undo 0:45:00

Mostly Circle contract work - 9:19:00

Community work - 2:41:25

Delia Mute in Grave Grotto

Delia Mute

Another small grid roguelike. I think this one came out slightly better than my 7drl from this year. It is my first big project that I did for pico-8, and it took about a week to finish it off.

Play it here.

older posts | newer posts
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
powered by Jekyll with Barecity