Starting to feel really focused here, to the point where I will probably just have just two or three line items listed on future dev logs. I started the week with a project management meeting where I decided it is time to release something and charge for it. Of all the different projects I have been working on, the one that seems most likely to be completed in a reasonable timeframe is the action editor.
So the plan is to make a bunch of micro games, things the scale of flappy bird, wrap them all up in a frame story and sell the whole thing on iOS. I got two games done enough for user testing last week. I also started porting the whole thing to iOS and replacing the sfxr based sound system with something that I enjoy.
Unsurprisingly enough, porting to iOS means that I have to rethink all the controls. I think from here on out, everything is going to be iOS first to make sure the controls are fine. I am going to try to work in such a way that porting back to emscripten is easy enough when the time comes. Hopefully will have something posted for people with iOS to play on their devices by the end of the week.
- action edit 17:25:59
- dev log + project management 1:38:34
- accounting 0:13:21
- terrain gen 1:30:00
- contract work 3:06:01
The bulk of this week was spent working on the action game editor thing. I started making a game in it, and ported one of my old games to it. I had a vague plan about making a game a day with it, but I just don’t think I have the energy for that. One of the issues with it is that I can’t see people being excited about screenshots of games made with it. I hope to have a plan to deal with that this week.
One possible expression that I was thinking about for the sector editor was to make instanced dungeons that would exist in a random gen landscape. I started messing around with rendering tech for the landscape late this week. This is a pretty neat fully gpu rendering thing for heightmaps.
I am starting to look for other ways to make money, because I am getting really worried that I won’t be able to eat from this stuff.
- action edit 10:21:12
- dev log 0:38:46
- accounting 2:11:53
- terrain gen 5:36:17
- other money 0:04:56
Here is a list of the things I made/did in 2015.
I think this is fair enough to put on here, even though I am now working on it again. I had intended to actually make more games with it, but it turned out that wasn’t really my style. I think I was making it for other people, and it turned out to not be for anyone but myself, really.
A game for 7drl, made in collaboration with Cale Bradbury and Sal Farina. I don’t think it turned out too great, but I finished it in time for 7drl at least.
Chain Jam 2 / Episode 5
I made a little myst style game for this jam. I swapped graphical styles about 4 times over the course of 2 days, but somehow it turned out relatively coherent.
I spent a bunch of time working on contract work that has yet to be released. Hopefully this year?
I spent a bunch of time working on a sector editor that runs inside of unity. This means that I can theoretically build doom style levels in unity very very easily. I don’t actually know who I am making this for. So far, all I have to show for it are some neat screenshots.
A roguelike I made in pico-8. It has memory issues that mean you can’t play through a full game, but it is pretty nice outside of that. Was thinking that I would port it to iOS, and then completely forgot about that plan.
The other things
I spent a significant amount of time working on a CYOA editor for iOS. I don’t think it is for me though, so it probably won’t get finished. I also spent some time working on my tracker for iOS, which def is for me, but it just feels like I will never recoup my investment on it, so it is painful to work on. So much of this past year has been forcing myself to work on things that I know I will never make any money on, and being sad about that. Hopefully in 2016 I will be able to get over that issue.
2014 year in review.
A much shorter week, due to holidays.
Started porting the web based action editor that I was working on to emscripten. This was pretty necessary due to slowdown in the lua.vm.js bridge functions. I am not doing much beyond writing wrappers for some functions right now.
Spent a little bit of time on the doom editor and iPad CYOA thing as well, but nothing significant. I don’t really know where either of those are going. In particular, the CYOA thing feels too slight to be worth finishing. Maybe I should send it out to people and see if anyone likes it or not.
Coming later this week: my yearly roundup of what I did. I am somewhat looking forward to that.
- doom editor 0:31:11
- ipad game editor 1:35:27
- lua action game editor 4:56:59
- mostly circle contract work 0:54:58
Another week, another project.
I spent a little time tackling bugs from the doom editor and the iOS CYOA editor this week. The doom editor got a major fix committed (3 concentric sectors would cause all sorts of headaches), and I started work on better face picking / texture application.
Around march or april of this year, I had released a game making tool that never got any traction with anyone. I think a big part of that was I wasn’t using it myself, but it was also deeply strange for a number of reasons. Most of them had to do with the underlying complexity of the sdk. I had started trying to clean it up, but ended up realizing that it needed a full rewrite. That was too much to handle, so I dropped the project.
This week I came back to it, and rewrote nearly the entire sdk in lua. It took about a day. I spent another day banging my head against some strange bugs in lua.vm.js. This isn’t ready for release yet, but it is close. I am hoping that more people will be excited about it, since I smoothed out a ton of the issues.
- accounting 0:46:03
- doom editor 6:05:41
- ipad game editor 0:39:36
- lua action game editor 12:41:56
- mostly circle contract work 2:14:13