Android KitKat Emoji

Google does something good every once in a while, and recently they commisioned a set of emoji that is licensed with the liberal apache license. You can get this emoji set in the Noto Sans fontpack.

I have extracted the emoji set to a png set that you can download here. This set happens to be my favorite, because just look at these cute little squishies.


Temporary Twitter Change

Follow me at CoolTShirts2000 until I get bored of posting tshirts.

back to normal

Nightmare Cooperative

nightmare cooperative

A small grid roguelike in which you control multiple characters simulatanously. I have posted a few of my thoughts on the development here.

Links to buy (and more maketing) here: Nightmare Cooperative

Make Game Series pageant

Make Game is a forum which is a sequel and successor to the now defunct superfriendshipclub. I was a sometimes member of the superfriendship club right when I was starting out making games full time. It was an interesting place to hang out, with a much different focus than most of forums for indie games that I had found at the time.

One of the best parts of it was the pageant section, which gave rise to a series of really interesting jams. At the time, I didn’t feel ready to approach the themes, they were too big for me to wrap my mind around. I thought I was ready, but of course the first theme for the ressurected pageants is blowing my mind. Please join me in participating in “Series”.


The instructions from Ian Snyder:

Make a two or more small games all revolving around one central theme or idea that when taken together form one cohesive whole. Make the games good.

Zero Zero Projector

A first person permadeath arcade shooter with fog flasks.

zero zero hero

Unity Webplayer

Win / Mac / Linux Downloads

I started out 7drl this year with high hopes. Just on the tail of nightmare cooperative, I was feeling pretty confident that I could get to the end of this jam without making a pile of garbage (like I did last year), or just completely fail to make anything (like I did the prior year).

Unfortunately, I got it into my head that the correct thing to do was to make a heist game that didn’t have any combat, and which was presented as a series of disconnected vignettes. A top down 30 flights of loving. I built out some nice graphics for it, and had ideas for some of the scenes that I wanted in it. Unfortunately, once I started thinking about it in terms of a game, I let “player agency” creep in. This was the death knell for this project, because I didn’t know how to handle a heist where the player could make choices about how it was going to proceed. I kept getting mixed up between the game I wanted to make and the expectations of what a roguelike should be.

I think I will come back to this idea at some point, or at least find a use for the graphics, because look at these graphics.


Two days into the 7drl, I decided to deep six that project and start on something new. I had the beginnings of a randomly generated fps, so I grabbed all that code and started actually making it into a thing. I ripped out all of the enemies that I had implemented, tore out all the graphics, and switched it so that it just generated a single empty square room. I had big plans for this dungeon generator, but moving things to the third dimension is always hard. Making it to a first person asteroids simplifies a bunch of the generation.

I then built out a few enemies. I probably picked the wrong art style for this, because it took me a few hours each to make the animations and art. I don’t know what I could have done different except just not had animations. Or maybe art is just costly always.

Finally, I hit on this idea of throwing potions around, and having the fog have different properties. I had some notes of a roguelike that would use potions as the only weapon, with about 30 ideas listed. I stripped these back to the most important and interesting three, and shoved them in the game. Up to this point the game was brutally difficult, but with the addition of the potions, it didn’t take much work to balance it into something more or less playable. Winning feels like you are exploiting the game, which is an interesting thing to have happen. I don’t know if it is good design or not, but I like that there is a secret way to win and that you have to track it down.

older posts
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
powered by Jekyll with Barecity